God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. And ME to share all the pain, laughter, tears, sorrow,happiness, sun and rain with you! Let us endure all the 暴风雨 and 彩虹 together!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

McClelland's theory of needs

McClelland's theory of needs states that people vary in the type of needs they have. Their motivation and how well they perform in a work situation are related to whether they have a need for:

  • Achievement
  • Afflilation OR
  • Power

Achievement needs:

  • attaining challenging goals
  • setting new records
  • successful completion of difficult tasks
  • doing something not done before
  • Prefers:
  • work that has moderate possibilities of success
  • frequent and specific feeback about performance
  • work alone or with other high achievers

Affilation needs:

  • behaviours towards others that are cooperative, supportive, and frienndly and which value belonging and conformity to the group
  • great satisfaction from being liked and accepted by others
  • Perfer:
  • work with others who prefer group harmony and cohesion

Power needs:

  • influencing others, defeating an opponent or competitor, winning an argument or attaining a position of greater authority
  • Perfer:
  • work which has supervision/leadership

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time for reflections:

I think I am one who has all the 3 needs!!! =X

I think I am one with moderate to high achievement needs. For I like to challenge myself to achieve goals with moderate possibilities of success, set new records, doing something not done before AND I require constant feedbacks about my own performance (do you all think so ??? ) I will feel uneasy if there is no feedback regarding my performance....

I think I am one with moderate to high affilation needs. For I value belonging to a particular group. And I attained great satistaction from being liked and accepted by others. AND I hate POLITICS.

I think I am one with moderate to high power needs too.... for I like to influence people..... challenge myself to defeat my competitor or to win an argument AND I like leadership roles.

So.....

I have to adjust myself at different situations... to see whether I have more achievement, affilation or power needs......

But since I am a more FEELING person.... I think I would have more affilation needs... =)

0 comments (click to comment):