God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. And ME to share all the pain, laughter, tears, sorrow,happiness, sun and rain with you! Let us endure all the 暴风雨 and 彩虹 together!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

5 weeks at placement - thoughts and feelings

It is amazing how our views and feelings have changed due to experiences that we have ... ...

Before this current attachment, I was thinking how am I going to survive this 6 weeks attachment, the longest attachment I ever have. How am I going to survive the long journey to work? I am like the Monkey God - Journey to the west.

How am I going to survive with barely any new knowledge learnt since my last attachment in Feb-Mar.

How am I going to survive in a setting where I have barely any handling skills on patients on transfer, etc before?

Will I have a nuturing supervisor? Much better than the one I have before? I really dread having a non-nuturing supervisor....

Having attachment coming to an end soon, I have alot of feeling and thoughts ... ...

I do not know since when, I no longer dread of going to work, despite the long journey......
Perhaps is because of the nurturing environment that I have. My supervisor is nuturing, trying all means to teach us and giving us lots of hands-on. Even to the extend of "getting" patients from other therapist to let us see.

The therapists here are all very nice. Nice to talk to and even joke to. The TAs are nice too. I think even now as I blog, I can feel that I am going to miss them. How would life be without such people in life for this attachment.

I believe it is also because of this nuturing environment that I have, I decided to make full use of it and create my own learning environment. This is the first attachment that I do alot of read up to enhance my learning. This is the only attachment that I told my supervisor what I want to learn or what I want to see. I wouldn't want to waste such a good opportunity as I know this type of opportunity are hard to come by.

Perhaps, I was also due to the "not so nice" experience in my last attachment that I really treasure this experience and that really spur me on to create my own learning.

The thought of me working in a geritrics setting never comes to my mind, or it had but just passing by. Currently, I feel that I like working in a geri setting too.... perhaps maybe I work better with them than with peds? I dunno.... let me see if the lecturers can put me in a peds setting 1st before I decide where I like most.

I really enjoyed the time with the patients. The time that I can really be with my patients and know more about them and to help them. This is a luxary that I don't have in my previous placement. I think that is the reason why I like this setting alot. Or perhaps is because like what my classmates say, I like to talk. haha.

This placement has also increase my confidence in handling patients in transfers and implementing treatments. This is the time where I really sure of what I am doing and why I am doing.

This also makes me like what I am doing now. It also makes me a step closer to help me deicide what will I be after I graduate.

I will treassure my last week here at the placement. Will update again on the last day.

0 comments (click to comment):