God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. And ME to share all the pain, laughter, tears, sorrow,happiness, sun and rain with you! Let us endure all the 暴风雨 and 彩虹 together!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Special Needs Officer (SNO)

I'm sure those graduating Occupational Therapy students should have received the post mail by now.

MOE is recruiting Special Needs Officers, also known as SNOs. It sounds interesting as working with children is one of the areas that I am interested in, other than working with the elderlys.
But what pulls me back is the requirements to be an SNO:

  • Full GCE ‘A’ Level Certificate with a pass in GP and 5 GCE ‘O’ level passes including English and Mathematics; or
  • Local Polytechnic Diploma and 5 GCE ‘O’ level passes including English and Mathematics
  • Good interpersonal skills and the passion to work with children with special needs
I mean if anyone with the above can be an SNO, then I can already be one after my As few years back, I mean all of us who are currently taking Dip in OT does qualify that long ago.

If I am an OT going to be an SNO, then it will be helping these kids integrate into the community, in the school as well as providing treatment for them. We should not take them out of class but find ways and implement treaments to help them to better integrate back in class. But then, I wonder how much automy a SNO officer has.

Okay, let's say if an SNO is OT trained, is he/she allowed to implement treatments? OR does she just follow what the teachers say? This is not what I want. As we all know, we do not want to be dictated by what other says.

We are TRAINED to do what we do....

Hmm.... Shall keep an open mind first.... see what it has to offer.... whether there is any difference between the job scope of a SNO and a job scope of an OT- trained SNO......

Hmm... if there's isn't, I would give a second thought about it.

0 comments (click to comment):