God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. And ME to share all the pain, laughter, tears, sorrow,happiness, sun and rain with you! Let us endure all the 暴风雨 and 彩虹 together!

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Helping someone with visual impairment

It has been more than 1 year since HB taught us the mobility module. You all must be wondering why I bring this up after so long. Well, as the title of this entry suggest "Helping someone with visual impairment."

I was in the train with SH and Zub and we saw this person at the city hall who are visually impaired. He was waiting for a train, towards the east direction. We didn't pay much attention to him after afew glances at him. We didn't want to have this "staring" thing on him as we know it will be uncomfortable for him, even though he is visually impaired. It was when we alighted at the Tampines MRT station where he, too alighted. We walked past him and he was sort of approaching for help. He was asking if anyone can help him down and out of the MRT station. Well, not sure if it was our instinct or our humanistic nature, we just lend our helping hands. Since I was the nearest to him, I bring out my hands and held onto him.

That was so damn wrong to do that!!!! OT year 3s........ can you all remember that? I was really ashamed of myself during that time when he replied, "Don't hold my hand. Let me hold onto your elbow." Does that strike a bell?

Yes! To assist a person with visual impairment, we are not suppose to hold onto their hands. Instead, let them hold on to our elbows. Okay..... so the journey went on....

As it was abit long waiting for the lift, the man said it was okay to use the escalator too. As it was 7+ in the evening, the station was alittle packed and so was the platform. On the way to the escalator, I had forgotten that there was a person behind me and I tried to move through 2 persons. (opps....)
Then we went down the escalator. Had a little chat along the way to the interchange to take a bus.....

hmm.... this man was on his way to a church in my neighbourhood. He had just finished his work at orchard. Wanted to but didn't ask him what he worked as. Can't remember what we were talking but it leaded us to him telling me how he gotten his visual impairment - he had a brain tumour and he had it remove and it affect his optic nerve.

Then he started asking where I'm studying and what I study. Interestingly, he does not know what is occupational therapy. Perhaps he didn't go through any occupational therapy - he seems cognitively sound and physically abled. Not sure if any help was given to him in terms of modification to the environment at home.

Soon, we reached the bus lane. He had this talking watch that we saw before when the guest speaker came to talk to us about people with visual disability. He opened and it talks. =)
He said that it was okay to leave him there at the lane and that I can go back to meet my friends. BTW I was with SH remember? She helped me to top up my ezlink while I assist him. Hmmm.... I was thinking it won't harm me waiting with him for a few more minutes since I think the bus may come any moment soon.

True enough, the bus came and he boarded the bus. Before he left, he thanked me for the help.

But rather, I think I should thank him for the opportunity for me to have this experience of assisting a person with visual impairment as whatever we did during lesson is just mimic of the experience. Assisting him also helps me to refresh my memory of how to assist a person with visual impairments.

Though today was a long tiring day after 2 project meetings...... it ended with a meaningful activity. =)

Remember,

  • Never hold onto the hands of people with visual impairment when assisting them in mobility
  • Instead, give them your elbows or shoulders
  • Avoid crowded area because people will most probably not give way
  • Walk slowly if your walking pace is fast
  • Always talk to the person and tell him/she where you are heading

0 comments (click to comment):