God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. And ME to share all the pain, laughter, tears, sorrow,happiness, sun and rain with you! Let us endure all the 暴风雨 and 彩虹 together!

Saturday, June 23, 2007

A blog entry by MetaOT on : How to succeed in your practice placement (aka Clincial Placement)

Well, when I was an OT student, I think the most stressful part of an education is during clinical placement as that is the time to "put what we have learn into practice". And most importantly, these are real clients. Not our classmates... nor our lecturers..... and whichever we do, we must always remember - "do no harm."

In addition, I feel that clinical placement is not only to "put what we have learn into practice" but also to learn about communications with supervisors, other team members and clients.

Come to think of it, putting ourselves in supervisor's shoes, we are being watched by students 5/7, 8/24. Everything that the supervisor does are under the watchful eyes of the students. (Haha.... at least I would take down what my supervsiors did when I don't understand.... and asked them about it but no harmful intention)

But what I like about some of my supervisors is that they are very open when they are unable to answer us some questions. For that i respect them as they did not just "smoke" through. I do admit that as clinicians, we do not have as much time as students to do research on best practice and stuff and if we do, it will often be after office hours.

This particular entry by Nick Allenby, was interesting, though there was some humour added to it. But I guess OT students will be able to relate to some of the situations mentioned instantaneously, for at least I did. And it lets me to reflect back on what did I do actually during all my clinical placements. But as for the "solutions" given, I did non of them. With the exception of asking for feedbacks. I believe this will help students in improving on things that they have not done well in and of course getting feedbacks on things that we have done well in will boost our confidence. But the 1st and hardest step is to ask for feedbacks and be open to feedbacks as they may not always be positive.

So what did I do when I didn't have positive feedbacks? I will try to take it neutrally/ positively. And try to find solutions to improve. I believe this methods works for all, whether you are a student or a clinician. Not yet tried out at workplace yet... soon i suppose.... as I am someone who requires feedbacks on my performance. =)

Although clinical placements are often stressful, come to think of it, I really do enjoy most, if not all of my clinical placements. Of course I am grateful in having very nurturing and understanding supervisors. And one other thing that I learnt while on clincials, "It is all about our clients."

With that, we will forget about performing well for the sake of performing/ scoring but really because we want our clients to improve. And it works for me. =)

To end off, maybe you guys want to take a look at this entry. But do take it with a pinch of salt. =)

0 comments (click to comment):